Environmental Health Intern - Washington County
Description: The Washington County Department of Public Health and Environment is seeking a qualified individual to work with our Environmental Health Team. This is an exciting position that will give the candidate great environmental health experience and learning opportunities. The position will work primarily with special event food stands, mobile food units and other food establishments. The position will also provide support to our vector borne disease program and have opportunities to work in other environmental health areas. The work schedule will be 40 hours per week with a work week of four weekdays and Saturday, with occasional Sundays if needed. The schedule can be flexible based on the candidate chosen, but the candidate is expected to work at least three weekends a month.
This position will:
• Learn the state food code and the special event food stand license standards and requirements, and the state pool code and recreation water facility standards.
• Assist with coordinating licensing of special event food stands, identify event coordinators, ensure events have a designated person in charge, and ensure special event food stands are licensed in advance.
• Review and recommend approval of special event food stand applications. Follow up with applicants as needed.
• Conduct inspections of licensed special event food stands and mobile food units. Issue orders and provide education and assistance as needed.
• Conduct inspections of other seasonal and low risk establishments. Issue corrective orders and provide education and assistance as needed.
• Review inspection findings and make recommendations for interventions. Assist in development of public health intervention strategies.
• Provide support for the vector borne disease program including tick surveillance, collection, identification, and public education.
• Conduct routine inspections of licensed recreational water facilities. Issues orders and provide educational assistance as needed.
• Provide assistance in other environmental health programs such as organics recycling assessment and outreach, and environmental and public health epidemiology.
Location: This employee will work primarily from the Washington County Government Center in Stillwater, Minnesota. Located at 14949 62nd St N, Stillwater, MN 55082.
Salary / Dates: Salary is $15.50/hour plus mileage and expenses. This is a 67 day position. Approximate dates are June – September 2019. Employment start and end dates are flexible.
Requirements: Qualifications include possession of a baccalaureate or post baccalaureate degree in environmental health, biological science, sanitary science, sanitary engineering, natural resources, or other related environmental health field that includes at least 30 semester or 45 quarter hour credits in the physical or biological sciences.
Candidates must be interested in public health; be able to work independently; have basic computer skills; and have strong verbal and written communication skills. Must have own means of reliable transportation for business purposes, a valid driver’s license, and automobile insurance.
Contact and Questions:
• Jesse Hennes, Program Supervisor, at Jesse.Hennes@co.washington.mn.us or
• Abigail Miller, Senior Environmental Specialist, at Abigail.Miller@co.washington.mn.us or 651-430-6698
Application Procedure: Apply by sending a letter of interest, resume, and copy of college transcript by e-mail to Jesse.Hennes@co.washington.mn.us .
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until March 30, 2019, or until the position is filled.