The City of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota's sixth largest municipality is seeking applicants for a seasonal intern position within the Community Development Department. We are looking for a highly motivated and dependable individual who can work in a fast paced, customer focused environment.
This position will provide a great opportunity to work in a diverse community and be involved in a wide range of inspection and enforcement activities that promote stable neighborhoods and strong businesses as well as provide exposure to a variety of community issues for career development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct property maintenance inspections and enforce the city public health, zoning, sign, nuisance, and property maintenance codes
- Conduct and/or assist with inspections of licensed food establishments, public swimming pools, spas, licensed lodging facilities, and itinerant food events; obtain food, water, and environmental samples. All public health related activities are conducted under the supervision of a registered sanitarian (these duties require studies in an Environmental Health-related field)
- Issue correction orders to property owners and take legal actions including issuing administrative fines and ordering abatements
- Answer questions from the public
- Conduct various administrative functions including answering phones, data entry, imaging documents etc.
- Conduct special projects as directed
- Other job duties as assigned or apparent
Minimum and Desired Qualifications
Undergraduate level studies in areas of community development, public administration, planning, housing, redevelopment, criminal justice, biology, physical sciences, public health, building/housing inspections, or related field
Experience with Microsoft Office programs and applications
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Licenses and Certifications
Valid driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to assess urgency of situations
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative, team-based environment
- Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to provide a level of customer service that meets/exceeds customer expectations
- Embrace and engage in cultural shift toward Continuous Improvement
- BrookLynk program alumni
- Current graduate or undergraduate level studies (or recent graduate) in Brooklyn Park
- Current involvement in community development or civic organizations and activities
- Advanced education in a relevant field
- Previous work experience in customer service and administrative support in an office environment
- Previous work experience in the areas of code enforcement or public health
- Experience working with people to resolve conflict
- Previous experience working with people from various cultural, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese, Hmong, Laotian, or Somali language(s)
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.