Career Posting:Environmental Health Student Intern-Outreach and Engagement
Ramsey County Is seeking qualified candidates to fill the following position Environmental Health Student Intern-Outreach and Engagement.
Position Description: The Outreach & Engagement Unit of Ramsey County Public Health’s Environmental Health Division educates and engages residents, businesses and schools on topics related to managing waste responsibly and reducing waste. Environmental justice and health equity considerations guide the unit’s work.
The schedule will primarily be Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, for the summer season. This will be a hybrid position, with the expectation of at least two days per week in the office (located in Maplewood). Additionally, this position will include evening and weekend work to assist with education/engagement activities in the community.
• Become familiar with recycling and waste management in Ramsey County.
• Help staff tables at community events and provide education to residents about recycling and waste reduction.
• With assistance from Ramsey County staff, work with summer camps, libraries and other community groups to conduct educational programs for youth, with a focus on recycling and waste reduction.
• Assist with running monthly Fix-It Clinics.
• Lead the development of educational activities to connect with youth at community events (examples could include a prize wheel with trivia questions and a coloring/activity book).
• Research and write articles for the Green Ramsey e-newsletter.
• Assist with the development of social media content. Provide suggestions for new strategies/channels.
• Assist with community presentations related to recycling and waste management.
• Assist with communication and engagement activities related to solid waste management planning.
• Observe Ramsey County work activities and suggest improvements.
• Independently manage assigned work and document its completion, seeking help when needed.
Position Requirements:Minimum Qualifications
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of colleagues and residents.
• Comfort sharing information with others verbally.
• Strong writing skills.
• Academic experience and current undergraduate or graduate school enrollment in environmental health, public health, biological or physical sciences, education or related field.
• Computer software competency in commonly used Microsoft Office and Adobe products.
• Ability to travel to multiple locations in the county to attend events.
• Ability to pass a criminal background check.
Additional Useful Qualifications
• Previous work or volunteer experience in the environmental field.
• Fluency in a language other than English.
Position closes on:2024-03-01