Career Posting:Environmental Health Student Intern
Ramsey County Is seeking qualified candidates to fill the following position Environmental Health Student Intern.
Position Description: The Environmental Health Division of the Saint Paul-Ramsey County Public Health Department is seeking candidates for an internship opening in Community Environmental Health. The Community Environmental Health team helps to protect the public from illness and injury through risk-based inspections and regulation of food and lodging establishments and public swimming pools. The program intern primarily visits swimming pools, temporary food establishments, conducts vending machine inspections, educates operators on industry specific rules during inspections, asks operators to fix hazards as needed to eliminate risks to the health and safety of the public, and documents the inspection using an inspection report writing software.
Depending on the skillset of the selected candidate, the intern may also have opportunities to lead various other projects such as preparing draft language for website updates or developing educational materials, analysis, and documentation of program processes, conducting community outreach and engagement, and analyzing program inspection data. Shadowing opportunities may include the areas of solid/hazardous waste compliance, food waste reduction, yard waste and organics collection programs, and other public health programs.
The schedule will primarily be Monday through Friday, 15- 20 hours per week (Jan-April) and then increasing to 40 hours per week for the summer season. This position will include occasional evening and weekend work to complete inspections of temporary food events.
The intern receives structured training at the start of the internship and their task competencies are evaluated prior to independent workload management for the remainder of the internship. Most office work will be remote and inspection work will be in-person in most situations.
• Become familiar with licensed operations and inspection methods.
• Complete assigned inspections and guide operators to compliance with rule requirements.
• Educate licensees and the public regarding regulatory and non-regulatory public health and safety topics.
• Observe Ramsey County work activities and suggest improvements to policies/procedures.
• Independently manage assigned work and document its completion, seek help when needed.
Position Requirements:Minimum Qualifications
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of colleagues and customers.
• Academic experience and current undergraduate or graduate school enrollment in environmental health, public health, food science, biological or physical sciences, community
health education or related field.
• Computer software competency in commonly used Microsoft Office and Adobe products.
• A valid driver's license and regular access to a vehicle to travel between worksites.
• Ability to pass a criminal background check.
Additional Useful Qualifications
• Previous work or volunteer experience in food service or swimming pool settings.
• Innovative outreach, statistical analysis, or other unique academic experiences.
• Fluency in Spanish and/or Hmong.
Position closes on:2023-12-01