Environmental Hygiene Officer - University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Career Posting: Environmental Hygiene Officer
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities is seeking qualified candidates. To fill the position of Environmental Hygiene Officer
This is an advanced professional position with responsibilities in the field of general environmental health within the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. The individual has responsibility for the overall planning, development, maintenance, promotion and evaluation of general environmental health programs in accordance with local and state laws and regulations and University of Minnesota environmental health policies. This position is responsible for the protection of faculty, students, staff and visitors through compliance with applicable public health regulations primarily related to food safety, swimming pools, pest control, student housing and potable water. Education is also a component used to obtain compliance. This position requires working some evening and weekend hours.
- Consults with and/or supervises studies designed to evaluate the need for maintenance of general environmental health programs in such areas as food safety, swimming pools, student housing, research laboratories, health care facilities, pest control, and service areas. Conducts inspections and field investigations and provides technical assistance related to food service facilities, swimming pools, childcare facilities and student housing. Reviews and processes food permits in addition to providing food safety training. Evaluates environmental health complaints related to food, housing, sanitation, pest control and housing.
- Determines when to require operational and/or facilities-related changes where environmental hazards exist. Requests cessation of operations that are hazardous. Conducts investigations of communicable disease outbreaks traceable to faulty environmental health practices. Collects potable water samples and performs related lab analysis.
- Initially plans, develops and administers the general environmental hygiene health program. Designs and develops new programs and modifies or updates current programs in environmental health. Maintains current knowledge of legal requirements and technological developments in environmental health.
- Promotes public health by developing and conducting lectures on environmental health principles for students, staff and faculty and for civic and professional groups. Works with public officials from local, state and federal agencies and coordinates their efforts to the benefit of the environmental health programs.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university majoring in biology, chemistry or environmental health plus at least five years of full time work experience in environmental health, two of which include environmental health management, or a combination of related education and work experience to equal at least nine years.
- Registered Sanitarian accreditation is required.
- Final candidate pass a pre-placement criminal background check.
Additional Information: https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/334333?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email