Recycling & Energy Center Manager
100 Red Rock Road, Newport, MN 55055
Annual Salary Range: $118,450 - $165,095
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is searching for a highly qualified and dynamic leader to serve as Manager of the Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) in Newport, MN. This position reports to senior leadership staff from Ramsey and Washington Counties.
R&E is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington Counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties (joint activities), and owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) in Newport, Minnesota (www.morevaluelesstrash.com). The R&E Center manages more than 450,000 tons of trash per year. At the R&E Center, trash is processed to recover recyclable metals and to make refuse-derived fuel which is used to generate electricity. Through this system, R&E is maximizing the recovery of resources and diverting as much as possible from landfills. The R&E Center is the only facility of its kind in the state. R&E’s vision is vibrant, healthy communities without waste, and the R&E Center accomplishes R&E’s mission through partnerships and innovation.
The successful candidate will have solid waste industry experience, strong leadership skills, and experience managing a facility and personnel – preferably in a union environment. The incumbent will plan, organize, and direct operations and maintenance activities; directly supervise work of up to 10 staff while providing leadership to up to 80 staff; manage operational budgets and capital projects, and work with county staff and elected officials.
This is professional work including, but not limited to the following areas:
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of the R&E Center.
- Oversee the preparation of all documents necessary to complete all local, state and federal environmental review and permit requirements.
- Initiate and assist on promotion, development, and implementation of continuous improvement opportunities at the R&E Center and equipment operation as well as waste and material management methods and technologies.
- Manage union relations, including working with the Human Resources Manager on grievances and discipline, and maintain good labor relations with union representatives and staff.
- Participate with the Accounting Manager to develop and recommend the Facility Budget and Equipment Maintenance and Replacement Budget. Recommend changes in tipping fees and other charges for service.
- Oversee the daily operations and logistics of the R&E Center and manage the transportation process to ensure the efficient movement of waste and end-products.
- Work with the Joint Leadership Team, other R&E management, staff, contractors and consultants to prepare, design and propose capital improvements.
- Oversee public relations efforts including mitigating R&E Center odor impacts in the community, developing and implementing public educational components for the community and responding to inquiries or concerns from members of the public in person, by phone, or email.
- Represent the interests and policies of the R&E at public meetings, hearings, and legislative committees, and with the business community, media, other government agencies, county organizations, community groups, and interested parties.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in an environmental field such as environmental health, environmental studies, environmental science; public health; the natural sciences; communications, behavioral sciences, business administration, public administration or a related field.
Experience: Five years of experience in public sector service delivery, preferably, but not necessarily, related to waste management, environmental health, environmental services, environmental science, public health or a related field. At least two years of experience supervising staff, which can be part of the five years of public sector experience, or at least two years of private sector supervisory experience in addition to the five years of public sector experience.
Substitution: A Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for two years of the required experience.
A detailed job description can be found here: Recycling & Energy Center Manager
Position open until filled. Applicants should respond promptly as the initial review of applications and supplemental questions will occur on December 14, 2020.
To apply for an R&E job, all of the following are required to be completed.
- Complete the job application
- Thoroughly answer all supplemental questions
- Send job application and supplemental questions to Human Resources by emailing completed application and supplemental questions to HR@recyclingandenergy.org.
The job description and supplemental questions are both fillable-PDFs. Learn how to use fillable PDFs. You may also print the application and supplemental questions and complete them.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.