EH Specialist / Sanitarian Registration

EH Specialist / Sanitarian Registration

Only those persons who are registered by the Minnesota Commissioner of Health may use the titles "Registered Environmental Health Specialist" or "Registered Sanitarian" or the initials "R.E.H.S." or "R.S." in Minnesota.

The requirements for EH Specialist/Sanitarian registration are contained in Minnesota Rules 4695.2500 to 4695.3200.  The following are some of the frequently asked questions about EHS/S registration:

What is environmental health specialist/sanitarian registration?
An environmental health specialist, or sanitarian, is a person qualified to plan, organize, manage, implement, and evaluate one or more program areas comprising the field of environmental health.  Environmental program areas include but are not limited to:  food, beverage, and lodging sanitation; housing; refuse disposal; water supply sanitation; rodent, insect, and vermin control; accident prevention; swimming pool and public bathing facility sanitation; radiation safety; air and water quality, noise pollution, and institutional and industrial hygiene.  Implementation includes community education, investigation, consultation, review of construction plans, collection of samples and interpretation of laboratory data, enforcement actions, review and recommendation of policy and/or regulation.

Registration of Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarians is a process that certifies the  applicant has been found by the Commissioner of Health to meet the qualifications specified in parts 4695.2500 to 4695.3200 to protect environmental health.

What are the requirements for registration?
Applicants for initial registration must have:

  1. A baccalaureate or postbaccalaureate degree in environmental health, sanitary science, sanitary engineering, or other related environmental health field which includes at least 30 semester or 45 quarter hour credits in the physical or biological sciences; and
  2. At least one year of supervised employment in one or more of the program areas listed in the definition of environmental health contained in the rules (see section above). Supervision must be provided by a registered environmental health specialist/sanitarian, a licensed health professional, or an engineer or other professional with a graduate degree in one of the physical or biological sciences; and
  3. Successful completion of the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) Registration Examination.

How often is the registration exam given?
Upcoming exam dates can be found at http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/san/exam.html .

How should I study for the examination?
MDH has created a suggested list of study materials for the examination.  The list is included with the application packet.

What are the requirements for registration renewal?
An applicant for renewal must submit evidence of 24 contact hours of acceptable continuing education relating to one or more environmental health program areas.

I am registered in another state.  Does Minnesota offer registration by reciprocity?
Yes, but you must meet all of the registration requirements for Minnesota, including those for education, experience, and an approved exam.

What are the fees for registration?
The current fees can be found on the Minnesota Department of Health website:


Where can I get more information about Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian registration in Minnesota?

Visit the MDH website at http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/san/index.html.