2017 FDA Central Region Retail Food Protection Seminar and NEHA Region 4 Biennial Educational Conference
September 19-21, 2017
The Commons Hotel
About the Event
The Minnesota Environmental Health Association (MEHA) invites you to join us for this one-of-a-kind event. The 2017 FDA Central Region Retail Food Protection Seminar will be jointly held with the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) Region IV biennial educational conference. This blended event will bring together food protection and environmental health professionals from 17 states and the District of Columbia. The agenda is being planned to provide joint keynote sessions and networking events, in order to promote and foster our community of environmental health professionals.
Our intended audience includes food safety and environmental health professionals from federal, state, tribal, and local regulatory agencies, industry, academia, as well as anyone with an interest in learning more about these topics!
- Registration for the FDA seminar provides attendees access to all three days of programming (September 19-21).
- Registration for the NEHA conference provides access to sessions on days two and three (September 20-21).
- Registration for either event allows you to participate and attend all sessions on the days included with your registration.
FDA Retail Food Protection Seminar (September 19-21)
The FDA Retail Food Protection Seminar will be held September 19-21, 2017. Attendees have the opportunity to learn about:
- Changes to regulations, policies, and recommendations that impact retail food safety, including but not limited to the FDA Food Code;
- FDA Standardization Interpretations;
- The FDA Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards;
- Federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial regulatory initiatives to enhance retail food safety;
- Industry initiatives to enhance retail food safety;
- Funding opportunities available to jurisdictions responsible for the regulation of retail and food service establishments; and
- Emerging science and technology related to retail food safety.
The Central Region includes: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
NEHA Region IV Biennial Educational Conference (September 20-21)
The NEHA Region IV conference will be held September 20-21, 2017. Attendees will be able to attend informational and educational sessions from a wide range of topics, including:
- Food Safety
- Drinking Water
- Swimming Pools
- Healthy Homes
- Emerging Environmental Health Issues
- Professional Development
- …and much more!
NEHA Region 4 states include: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska.
Conference Agenda 8/16/17 (subject to change)
- Keynote speakers:
- Risk Communication and Social Media; Food Safety Talk Podcast Demo: Dr. Ben Chapman (NC State University) and Dr. Don Schaffner (Ruttgers University)
- Bouncing Back! The Remarkable Attribute Called "Resilience" - Dr. Bob Veninga
- Conflict Resolution and Communication - Dr. Jody Janati
- Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs - Dr. Michael Osterholm
Registration has now closed due to the meeting space being at full capacity. Please contact your area FDA Retail Food Specialist with any questions or concerns. Specialist contact information can be found here: FDA Retail Food Specialist Contact Information
The event will be held at The Commons Hotel on the campus of the University of Minnesota, in Minneapolis, MN.
615 Washington Ave SE,
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Directions and Parking
Driving directions and Metro Transit routes are available on the Commons Hotel website.
Paid parking is available on a first come, first served basis in the parking lot behind the hotel and at the Washington Avenue Ramp, connected to the hotel by an enclosed walkway.
The lodging room block at The Commons is full. A limited number of additional rooms are being held at the Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis / University Area.
The hotel is located at 2812 University Avenue SE, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55414. It is a 15 minute walk or 8 minute Metro Transit Green Line ride to the Commons Hotel.
612-259-8797 Group Name: FDA/NEHA
Target Field Pentair Rain Water Recycling Tour
Join us for a fun and informational tour of the state-of-the-art Rain Water Recycle System that Pentair designed for Target Field.
Wednesday, September 20 at 7 pm, following the networking reception with exhibitors. Final tour departure details will be provided Wednesday at the conference.
Registration for the tour is $20, and includes transportation on the Metro Transit Green Line to and from the stadium.
Enjoy a tour of Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins, followed by a stop at Modist Brewing Co. Target Field is known as one of the best baseball stadiums in Major League baseball - from playing and watching baseball to its reputation as an environmentally sustainable stadium. The 90 minute tour of the stadium will take you to places that many fans don’t normally see including the environmental and sustainable features of the stadium. After the tour, we will walk over to Modist Brewing, located a short distance from Target Field. Pre-registration is not required for those who would only like to join us at the brewery.
There are a limited number of tour tickets available. Register early!
The Minnesota Environmental Health Association is proud to host an educational poster session at the joint FDA Regional Retail Food Safety Seminar/NEHA Region 4 Conference. Showcase your research to Environmental and Public Health Professionals from 17 states and the District of Columbia. Poster session participation is open to students and professionals.
Call for SILENT AUCTION donations!
A silent auction benefiting MEHA scholarships will take place during the conference on Wednesday, September 20. Please consider donating themed baskets, handmade crafts, packaged snacks, gift certificates, or other items for the auction! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, questions, or if you plan to donate an item.
See the Silent Auction Flyer for more details about the auction and the scholarships.
New to the Twin Cities?
Questions about the seminar / conference?
Please send us a message using the contact form.